I don't know what's gotten into me lately, but I've been all about the stews and soups. I know, at the end of July? I usually save these recipes for the cooler days, but I just can't help myself. My favorite types of dinners are the 'set it and forget it' types. So when I made this beef stew for the first time, I quickly realized how delicious and easy it was. It became a staple in our rotation. It's hearty, packed full of flavor and makes for great leftovers (if there's any left). I like to serve it over a bed of egg noodles usually to stretch the meal a little further, but it's also perfect on it's own making it an excellent all year round favorite in our home.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 3 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 sweet yellow onion (diced)
- 2 lbs red potatoes (washed and cubed 1 inch)
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons djon mustard
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
1) In replacement of beef broth I like to substitute 'Better than bouillon' (Clicking on this link will bring you to the exact product I use). This adds more depth to the flavor, which makes a noticeable difference. However, regular beef broth will work as well.
2) If you have access to fresh herbs, I really enjoy adding oregano and parsley to the stew as well. It brings some fresh flavors to this dish.
3) I find the best way to brown the meat is using a cast iron skillet. This way all the cooked bits of meat and garlic get stuck to the pan adding more flavor when you boil the beef broth and herbs in the same pan.
1) Chop your onion, celery, carrots and red potatoes. Place into your slow cooker.
2) Next put stew meat into a large bowl, season well with salt and pepper. Add you flour, toss and coat the meat. Set aside.
3) Melt the butter over medium heat. Grate your garlic and add to butter. Cook until fragrant.
4) Add stew meat to hot skillet, along with all the flour in the bowl. Brown meat on all sides. Let sit without stirring, allowing the garlic and flour to brown and stick to the pan. Add browned beef to vegetables in crock pot. Mix until blended well.
5) Turn burner down to medium/low and add beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, djon, worcestershire sauce, rosemary, italian seasoning, dried thyme, and bay leaves to skillet. Mix well and let simmer until well combined. Pour over vegetables and meat in crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours. Salt and pepper to taste, serve.