I've always been a huge pie fan but, especially pecan pie. I love the hard shell of the toasted pecans, combined with the soft delicious sweet center. Fresh out of the oven with a dollop of vanilla bean ice cream or fresh made whipped cream and you have yourself one delicious treat. This will always be one of my go to comfort desserts and this recipe is my favorite way to make it. The orange zest adds a fresh note on the back end. My husband says it tastes like the chocolate oranges he loves, I think it tastes like 'happiness'.
I chose to use a ready made pie crust because with a three year old and 1 month old at home, there was no way I was getting to make a homemade crust. However, pair this with your favorite pie crust recipe and you're sure to have a pecan pie that will take home a state fair blue ribbon.
- 1 ready made pie crust (or homeade)
- 1 and 1/2 cups pecans
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 1 cup sugar (I do half brown, half white)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- zest of half an orange
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pecans on baking sheet and toast for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Set aside.
2) Over high heat cook sugar, corn syrup and maple syrup. Bring to boil and stir until well combined. Bring heat down to medium and add butter, vanilla, orange zest, and cloves. Stir until well blended and remove from stove. Let stand five minutes or completely cooled.
3) In a large bowl beat eggs and slowly add into cooled sugar mixture, constantly whisking until well combined.
4) Put your toasted pecans into your unbaked pie crust, pour mixture over pecans.
5) Tent pie with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes uncovered. Cool and serve.